Saturday, October 4, 2014

Story, Story!

In the Nigerian context, storytelling is an ancient tradition passed on from generation to generation.  In the past, communities would gather around campfires and tell stories.  It would be a great form of entertainment, but also a beautiful to pass on wisdom, culture, tradition, and life lessons.





My Nigerian friends today continue to be great storytellers.  I love to sit and listen to them recalling an event that happened in their day, or stories of their secondary school days.




When telling stories to children, the storyteller will often start with,

 "Story, story."

Children's response:  "STORY!"

The storyteller continues by chanting, "Once upon a time..."

Children's response:  "Time, Time!"

After this the storyteller goes on to tell his/her story.



This summer I thought a lot about stories.  Why is story so important to me?  In the journey of walking with teachers, we often speak about worldview.  What is a worldview?  It's how we view the world.  It is the "comprehensive framework of one's basic beliefs about things." (Wolters, Creation Regained). If functions as a guide to our life. But where does one's worldview come from?  How is it shaped?

By the stories we are told.

The stories each of us are told are unique.  Take the owl for example.  As an African child, it is likely that there have been told stories of the presence of an owl being a sign of death and curses on a family or community.  These stories have shaped the African worldview.  As a North American child, it is likely that there have been stories told of owls being wise.  These stories have shaped the Western worldview.

But what happens when an African or a North American comes to know Christ?  We are told other stories based on scripture and our relationship with Christ that shape our worldview.  Sometimes these stories are in line with our cultural worldviews.  Sometimes they challenge them.  Some stories are disregarded.  Other stories are redeemed.


It's an exciting adventure to be part of God's story!  It gives me joy to be part of walking with teachers as we explore what it means for each of us to be part of God's story.  But it is also exciting to think about what stories we are telling as we live and teach.



Each of us also has a story.  What is your story?  What do you want your story to be?  What are our children's stories?  What stories are we telling?  How are our stories shaping the stories of those around us?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello! I'm a student, 24 years old and in my final year of architecture. I came across this picture : http://www.simonlewisphotography.com/images/Story-telling-photo.jpg and was wondering if I could get it in a higher resolution.
This is why: I'm designing a project in Tanzania and wanted to convince my jury with this beautiful picture. My project is about the very strong African storytelling culture it has. It will be a building in which stories are being kept and where children can learn without them knowing. This picture captures the african history of storytelling very strong. Since I couldn't find a better picture, this is why I'm writing on your blog.
It speaks for itself that I will put a copyright on it in your name. But I found this picture so beautiful, I thought I ought to try and ask you :-)