Tuesday, December 8, 2009

students joining the movement..

A few weeks ago, I was asked to speak at a career day at a local Christian Secondary School. I was asked to speak on becoming a teacher. Wow, I thought, what an opportunity. Here in Nigeria, the teaching profession is not highly regarded. In fact, I would venture to say that 5% (?) of teachers are teaching because that is what they want to do. Teaching is viewed as a job to take if nothing else works out. Most students here have their eyes set on one of the following professions: doctor, architect, engineer, banker, lawyer.

So...what was I going to do? I really prayed that God would give me wisdom to know what to say and how to say it.

I spoke of the privilege it is for me to teach. I spoke of the opportunity teaching presents to impact so many people in profound ways. I asked the students what qualities a teacher needed to possess.
Patience.
Sincerity.
Integrity.

Wow. I told them I was challenged, and I also told their teachers I hope they were challenged too.
I shared with them that even though teaching is not highly regarded, it needs to be. That teaching is the place where change of a child, a class, a generation, a country can really happen. And until some of us step out in faith to take up the call, things would continue as they are.

The students, teachers, and parents SEEMED engaged. I prayed that impact would be made.

I had to leave early to get to another meeting, so I was not even able to talk with anyone to get a feel of people's response.

As I left the building, a student came out running after me. She said that she was really touched by what I said, and that she had written a poem for me as and after I was speaking.



She said that she has always wanted to become a teacher. This is the first time I have heard a student here in Nigeria tell me this.

I was touched.

Pray that God would use this girl, and students like her to rise up and bring about change in the state of education here in Nigeria.

No comments: