Thursday, September 4, 2014

Celebrating Nigerian Fashion.



One thing I love about living in Nigeria is how bright and colourful dress and fashion is.  I have also learned how dressing well is valued and appreciated.  As you might have read in an earlier post (Taruwa magazine), I had to learn that dressing well didn't just mean matching bathroom slippers.  My colleague Megan and I have a good laugh about our "early years" outfits.




The process of getting clothes is a bit different than in North America.

Step 1:   Shop for cloth at the market.  There are so many choices and beautiful fabrics to choose from.



Step 2:  Connect with a tailor.  Sometimes you can find them at their shops, sometimes they will come to your house, as in this case!  The tailor will take your measurements. You can draw the design you would like, or pick one from many magazines lying around.



Here are some of the final products over the years...






























No comments: