Monday, November 17, 2008

Story Story















I visited a school in Baissa, a small town in the interior of Taraba State, Nigeria. The students are pictured here. This is a primary 4 class (grade 4).

These students shared a church sanctuary with the primary 5 class. Each group had a moveable chalkboard in front of them. The topic as I entered was the weather. On the board was written, “What is weather?” The textbook definition was also written, “Weather is the amount of rainfall, precipitation...etc..” I decided to see what the students knew by asking a few questions. I began with,

“What are you studying?”

“Science!” They all chorused.

“What is the topic?” , I asked.

“Weather!”

“What is weather?” I asked.

Hestitation followed. After a few more times of asking the question, a few people got it. Those who could read, began to read the definition on the board.

“Very good,” I responded.

“So, who can tell me, what is the weather today?”

Silence. Not one student could answer.

Maybe it is my accent, I thought. I repeated the question again. Nothing. I thought I would ask a leading question...

”Well, is it raining today?” I asked, as I pointed to the skies outside.

Silence.

After repeating this question, some students responded with a “no.” I followed it up with the original question...

”So, what is the weather today?” ..... Still nothing.

This is quite a typical scenario I have encountered in a number of primary school settings. Students who seem to have memorized a definition, but have not internalized any REAL meaning. There is a lack of connection between the definition and its significance to their daily lives.

How can we bring students to a place where they are not just memorizing an idea, but understanding a concept?

How can we as teachers guide and walk with our students to that place?

Pray for education of QUALITY for students in West Africa.

5 comments:

Emily and Martin said...

Wow, how frustrating is that! I taught meteorology and it can get complex, but to not even be able to put it into a real wolrd scenario...
You've got quite the job ahead of you!

Walking with West Africa said...

Its very fascinating that's for sure. It's that they haven't actually learned anything, just memorized some words...kinda reminds me of some of my university classes...I can't for the life of me remember some of the things I studied!

William said...

Hi Sheila,
God bless you for the great and excellent work you are doing. It is encouraging to hear and see what God is doing through you in West Africa. I pray that God will refresh you and give you grace to carry on with the good work.
Blessings,
William Karshima.

Sheila said...

@ William....thanks for the encouragement. God bless you.

Funmi Akinwale said...

"Students who seem to have memorized a definition, but have not internalized any REAL meaning".

The statement above is very true & one of the big challenges in the Nigerian educational system