Monday, November 19, 2012

"What Does a Typical Day Look Like for You?"


What does a typical day look like for me?  Well, the truth is, there is NO typical day.  I do have an office I work from – sometimes I spend all day there while other times I don’t make it to my office at all.  Here is a breakdown of a few different things that you might see me doing...



1)   Trainings  - I am available to do trainings on different aspect of Christian Education.  I will go to individual schools, or bring schools together to train – in "What is Christian Education?" and related topics as to how it practically applies in the classroom – discipline, teaching to read, relationships with students, curriculum, etc..




2)    School Visits – I will go to see individuals in various schools for whatever reasons.  To see teachers I have trained in action and give them feedback or encouragement.  To inform schools of programs or membership of ACSI.  I will chat informally with teachers and staff about their joys and challenges.  I will chat with students too.  Sometimes I do model teaching for a teacher – giving them an opportunity to see different teaching approaches in action.



3)      Running around working on repairs – plumber, electrician, internet, bank.  Things don’t always work as they should here, and much time is spent repairing air conditioners and freezers, leaky taps, etc.  Last week I made about 15 phone calls and 2 personal visits to our internet providers before service was finally restored...for now.


      4) Meetings – I meet with a group of trainers interested in training others.  I meet with the organizing committee who plans conferences and workshops in Abuja.  On a given day I might have a whole variety of people stopping by the office to talk about a school they are starting,  people wanting more information about Christian Education or what I do and how I might be able to work with them.   


           5) Mentoring – There are 4-5 people I have identified as having great passion and potential in terms of being a leading force in Christian Education in Nigeria. I spend as much time as I can with them, dialoguing about what they are learning and how I can help build their capacities to offer quality Christian Education in their various spheres.

Segun
Tosin 


























      6) Resource provider/Linker/connector – I have a resource library here at the office for teachers to come and borrow books and resources on Education.  Teachers will come looking for advice or information on a particular aspect of teaching, and I work with them to find out where they can get this information.  Others come into my office looking for jobs or teachers and sometimes I am able to make matches.  
In the office 
ri    7) Writing prayer letters, reports, budgets, etc.. – I also spend time doing just what I am doing right now – writing to you!  I am also expected to do paperwork types of functions – like quarterly reports and budgets, answering emails, etc..


     8) Travel – Since my position is across West Africa – I also spend time “on the road” (or in the air).  I will go to other parts of Nigeria and West Africa to do trainings, have meetings with Christian Educators, and help to build capacity wherever  I can.

No comments: