Monday, February 21, 2011

Making the most of unexpected school closures.



The month of January brought about serious disruptions for education in Nigeria. Due to voter registration for the upcoming national elections in April – all schools were closed for the entire month of January. I decided this was an opportunity God could use, and I just HAD to take advantage of it.
So for one week, we had practical teacher workshops here at the Daniel Center. Approximately 115 teachers from about 20 different schools came to attend one or more of the workshops.


Topics included:
Monday: Bulletin Boards with a Purpose
Tuesday: Teaching and Learning Through Games and Play
Wednesday: Classroom Management Techniques and Alternative Discipline Techniques
Thursday: Calendar Activities
Friday: Two different Workshops: 1)Alphabet Strips and Cards 2) Math Can be Fun!

Teachers were excited and engaged. New techniques and ideas left them challenged and inspired to try new things as they returned to their classrooms. And I had so much fun! I love teaching, and this was an opportunity for me to take time to do this too.



One testimony from Mrs. Ego Salami:
I have never been inspired like this in my entire life in the area of teaching. I learn a new way of “correcting” my pupils in the class. I felt so bad and guilty after the teaching on “Classroom Management Tips and Alternative Discipline Techniques” on Wednesday. I actually realised I had been unfair to my kids. Instead of scolding and shouting on them, I should have trained and prepared them so well to behave in a mature way. I asked God to forgive me.
I have learnt a new way of loving them and I believe God will give me the grace to love them more.
Thank you Miss Dykstra. I pray that God will continue to use you to help more people to realise who they are and what God has called them to do.
Thank you once again.
Salami, Ego (Mrs.)
Safe Hands School, Abuja

2 comments:

mom Dykstra said...

God truly does work in wonderful ways. It is great to hear that He has once again used your gift of teaching to share with fellow teachers. We pray that many will be His instruments in teaching the next generation. We continue to pray that God will use you to help teachers to explore who they are and experience God's power and love in their lives.

Angela Sexen said...

modem- Nice try but even as a supporter of states rights no ONE, NO State, NO Fed Govt. law[s] shall trump or violate Article 1 of the Constitution or any of the others 2-10 for that matter! Good try though but remember there are many conservative Spirit Filled Christians who are on guard against the assault on our GOD given rights & liberties by people of your persuasion and never forget that! NEVER!Homepage